Research assistant/Doctoral student
The Institute of Ethics, History and Theory of Medicine at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University
in Munich invites applications for the following position to be filled as of 1. April 2018 or later:
research assistant/doctoral student, TV-L E13 60%, fixed-term 36 months.
The research position is available within the research group “META – mHealth: Ethical, legal
and societal aspects in the technological age”. The international and interdisciplinary project
investigates and evaluates ethical, legal and societal aspects of mobile health
technologies (e.g. health apps, wearables) from an individual, population and global
perspective. The project is funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
● Conduct socio-empirical research examining benefits and risks of mobile health technologies, and related norms and values
● Dissemination, knowledge transfer, e.g. international, peer-reviewed publications; feed results into an educatory website
● Collaboration (e.g. co-organize events) and exchange within the research group
● Acquisition of a doctoral/PhD-degree during the project is possible and highly encouraged
● Master’s degree in a relevant academic discipline (e.g., social sciences, psychology)
● Expertise in empirical methodologies (esp. qualitative studies, participant observation)
● Interest in exchange with philosophy/ethics
● Scientific ambition, strong analytical skills, enthusiasm and the ability to work collaboratively
● Spoken and written fluency in English
● Knowledge of German is an advantage
● Demonstrated interest in questions of health technology/mHealth; justice and vulnerability in the area of health is an additional asset
We offer an exciting research experience in an innovative project at the intersection of health,
technology, philosophy, social science and law. The working atmosphere is welcoming and
supporting. The post holder will work in an interdisciplinary team at the Institute of Ethics,
History and Theory of Medicine (http://www.en.egt.med.uni-muenchen.de) in the beautiful city
of Munich, at one of the most prestigious universities in Germany and in exchange with
national and international partners at other leading research universities. The salary will be
according to TV-L E13 (60%). The position is for a fixed-term of 36 months.
Please send your application (inc. cover letter, CV, list of publications, 1-3 relevant writing
samples) by 10. March 2018 electronically as a single pdf file with the subject matter
“Application META Sociol” to Sigrid Detschey: Sigrid.Detschey@med.uni-muenchen.de.
For further information please contact the project leader PD Dr. Verina Wild: V.Wild@lrz.uni-muenchen.de